Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Book Review: Monster Files (Nick Redfern, 2013)

One of the most popular and widely-believed conspiracy theories is that world governments are guilty of covering up sightings or encounters with the unknown, particularly those relating to UFOs and monsters. I personally find conspiracy theories to be interesting, but I place little to no credence in most of them, nor do I believe in the existence of UFOs or aliens. Some of them, like David Icke's belief that shapeshifting Reptilians are walking among us and are actively trying to take over the world, seem absolutely ludicrous to me. Others, like the governments of the world covering up encounters with monsters and trying to silence eyewitnesses, are much more believable to me. This is what author Nick Redfern covers in one of his latest books, Monster Files.

A little over a year ago in July 2013, Nick had just published Monster Files in May, and I had made it known that I wanted a copy on Facebook (which is where I first made contact with Nick). I had originally intended on buying it from Amazon. However, Nick told me that he'd be more than happy to send me a free review copy, saying that I was a valued colleague and friend. I jumped at the chance, naturally. I gave him my mailing address, and within a week I had a new book! I started reading it soon thereafter, and discovered that it was filled to the rim with all sorts of interesting information. Just wait and see...
 
Nick covers just about everything to do with monsters, government cover-ups, and even a few things in between. Topics run the gamut from werewolves, Filipino vampires, the Flatwoods Monster, UFOs and aliens, Sasquatch, flying bat-women, and the Yeti, to the Minnesota Iceman, sea serpents, relict prehistoric beasts, El Chupacabra, weaponized animals, pets with psychic abilities, the Loch Ness Monster, out-of-place big cats, and phantom animals. Nick covers each one of these topics with a blend of his knowledge and investigative skills and his own particular brand of humor, while giving the reader everything they want to know (and still leaving some room for readers to investigate for themselves) and giving eyewitness testimonies in an unbiased manner. Not only is this book a veritable treasure-trove of monsters and conspiracies, but it's extremely hard to put down! I had to force myself to close the book to keep me from getting too far ahead at once!
 
Although I don't necessarily agree with some of the conclusions in the book, Monster Files is a fantastic book. It's easily a ten out of ten. The author doesn't pull any stops with his investigations, and it leaves little to no question as to why Nick Redfern is one of the most prominent researchers and cryptozoologists in the field today. I am very thankful to count Nick as one of my best friends today, and I hope to repay him for his kindness someday. His books are amazing, and I heartily recommend that any serious monster hunter, researcher, or cryptozoologist pick up some copies of his books as soon as possible.
 
Do monsters really exist? I believe that they do, and so does Nick Redfern. Do the governments of the world know more than they're telling us? Apparently, they do...a lot more! One of these days, the secrets will come out and the government will be forced to admit to their knowledge of these subjects. To quote the book's back cover, "Despite what your parents might have told you when you were a child, monsters, creepy creatures, and terrifying beasts really do exist. And our governments know all about them!"
 
Nick's blog can be found at nickredfernfortean.blogspot.com, where he can be contacted directly. His book, Monster Files: A Look Inside Government Secrets and Classified Documents on Bizarre Creatures and Extraordinary Animals!, may be found on Amazon.com and purchased or ordered from just about any good bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment